No matter where you go - there you are.

I've been becoming increasingly more concerned about how it is I plan to replicate my models with any amount of understanding and accuracy. So after many folds and scores and cuts, my goal now is to envision a path or movement I would like the marble to undergo and create a surface on the page to foster said movement. In this way I am using an economy of folds and attempting to therefore simplify the process of rebuilding my models. 
In this model I've planned for a circuitous route along the perimeter of the page. I also experimented with a number of deflecting surface types. And, of course, various rhythms and contrasts in shape and form.  You will also notice a marked increase in guidelines and measurements. Making note of these has helped with translating the fold pattern.  They are also very helpful references as to how to improve the quality of future builds. A few tips: 

-Establish a front and back of the page: This aides in the direction of folds and many other ambiguous movements that may be prescribed for your model.

-Think about incorporating various line types AND colors. For me, I am using line type for what action I want the user to impart onto the page (fold, cut, score, etc.) and color refers to the Front or Back of the page. In this image I have not used color yet but if you are wondering, I plan on using red and green to denote which side of the page is which. Feel free to use the same. Or explore any other color pairings as you see fit. 

-Lastly, the order of operations. Consider how important they are when constructing your models. I personally have a self-imposed goal that these models can be disassembled on an as needed basis. And I found that when reassembling my models, my initial step need not necessarily be done first ALWAYS.  In fact, in this particular example (above), the first step could easily be done last.

This model utilizes the least number of creased folds (6) and cuts (4) thus far. It also achieves all three of the movements we are seeking in this exercise.  -- I know, I've already patted myself on the back. But thanks anyway. 

No comments :

Post a Comment