Fumée d'Ambre Gris (Smoke of Ambergris)  by John Singer Sargent

Fumee d'Ambre Gris (Smoke of Ambergris) - John Singer Sargent - Painting Reproduction
Fumee d'Ambre Gris (Smoke of Ambergris) 1880 
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Massachusetts USA
This is one of my all time favorite paintings. I saw this painting at the Clark while on a high-school field-trip, it really spoke to me because my family would light Ambergris on special occasions, it is something that East African, North African  and Middle Eastern cultures share. While looking at this painting I  could  feel  the decadence of wafting Ambergris. This painting gets all your senses involved, sight, smell, touch.  Looking at this painting on  computer-screen doesn't do it justice; in real life the smoke in the painting looks so realistic. 

No comments :

Post a Comment