Types of occupation


  • What are the characteristics/keywords that define each type of occupation?


I think there are two main types of occupation - transitory, or static. Transitory involves passing through a space, only occupying space for a brief moment before continuing on to the next. A static occupation occupies a space for a prolonged period of time, and is more easily observed and defined. My skipping movement is a transitory occupation and my fall is more static, but includes some transition itself.


  • Does the activity occur in isolation or in the company of others?


Both transitory and static occupations can occur both in isolation and in the company of others. Static occupation oftentimes remains more isolated in space. Transitory movement may cross 'paths' or intertwine with other occupiers. Both my actions occur in isolation, however my movement in the skipping occupation is limited by the space given to move. 


  • What does it imply in terms of view or communication?


The transitory occupation implies movement and paths through a space - how individuals will pick and choose their movements within the spacial boundaries. A more static occupation implies a specific use of space. And the space should be designed around the desired function.


  • What leads into the sequence or happens after it?


Both my occupations begin with a stationary position and travel through space to their terminus. My fall is ended when my hands and body break my fall, whereas the skipping ends when I run out of room to continue in a straight line. 

No comments :

Post a Comment